View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default driving me nuts

I have had this same issue since 1989. I have MS and one day while driving down an interstate, I started to feel as though something "broke loose" in my brain and things were no longer stable in front of me....almost like I was moving differently than I was suppose to.
Ignored it at first as it came and went. Docs thought it was inner ear etc., but it never went away...it got worse.
Pretty soon I was way too hyper aware when I got in the car. I was afraid of everyone behind me and increased speeds made me really scared...I felt lightheaded and felt like I would only be safe if I got off the road.
Well, which comes first the chicken or the egg? I don't know for sure what started it all, but the fear is still with me. Familiar places are always better, so we must push ourselves to do the uncomfortable. Take a different route etc. Also invest in a GPS system to give us more confidence in unfamiliar territory. I have found the constant talking of the systems helps distract me from everything going on around me (those things that I have toooo much focus on!) Also being higher up off the road as in a pickup truck seemed to help as well as turning my rear view mirror to night driving tilt......I focused way too much on the vehicles behind me and that seemed to help put them in perspective. Also you have to keep telling yourself.....I have a right to be here! If I'm going too slow for you than guess what???? I'm going to slow down even more and force you to pass me! Explore what scares you and sets off the panic.....for me it was speed and cars behind me.
The other thing I had to do was reach out for help. I had recently moved and the unfamiliar area made me....paranoid to drive again. So my doctor put me on Celexa. Celexa is an antidepressant, but it also has benefits for OCD and Phobia. Phobia is where I think I am at this point. It has really helped me gain some confidence. It has allowed me to feel more determined to drive. Before Celexa; When my mom was sick and in the hospital, I noticed I would drive 22 miles on the highway on TERRIBLE winter roads because I was not going to let her be alone. That taught me that so much of this was in my determination. After mom was well, my determination to drive subsided back to fear.
The celexa has helped me more on a day to day basis which is what I needed.
Another thing I had for a while was very low dose (0.5) Ativan. It worked like a charm and when it kicked in I would feel totally centered again. The problem was it took a long time to kick in and I need something to work when I wanted to just hop in the car. Doctors can be hesitant to give Ativan because of the class of drug it is.
Celexa gave me a headache the first few days so I cut it in half and slowly built up to the full dose (20 mg). I still have some fear when I've been away from driving for awhile, but its just fear and it goes away as I drive a bit....nothing scarey happens that makes me want to pull off the road.
I'm still working on my issue, but the Celexa has really helped me get back out there. The days I truly feel off balance, I do not drive. But on the good days I am not so afraid to go down the road. The other day I was going down a two lane hiway and I looked down and was doing 65mph! Unheard of for me in over 15 years! And I felt fine with it! (except I was speeding). Someday I want to take off and drive about an hour away.....then I want to drive back to where I moved from which is about 4 hours away.
Keep active in trying whatever you can until you get results. For me it ended up being medication and I am thankful for it. HUGS to you all.

If you obsess about things that may happen and they don't come true...then you've wasted your time. If it does come true....then you've lived it twice.