View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Meeting other people with PD has been for me an amazing thing. Initially, because I fell neither into the late onset support group bracket (these were really old people) or the young onset, 30's and early 40's, I found all the support that I thought I needed online, especially here. But also at the edge of the forest, and places like PWLP, PWP, and Braintalk. I really resisted meeting people with PD, and now I cannot really remember why! Maybe it was because some of the voices I found online were so compelling, and I didn't want to be disappointed by their real life presence. Or perhaps that they might be disappointed by me...

In the event, a few years ago I took the plunge, first here in the UK, and then in Glasgow at the WPC. I have met some incredible people. We are so diverse, so different, and yet share things that are so similar....... It was good to be recognized without having to go through that PD filter that sometimes creates a puzzlement or a barrier with people who have no knowledge of PD, and it was certainly great not to have to explain my idiosyncracies! The best thing of all for me was the feeling of being understood, this is something that doctors and hospitals and even family and friends can sometimes diminish, because it is hard to 'get' what PD is about if you do not have it.

I would recommend it to anyone, if it works for you you will have gained a lot, and if it doesn't then it is like any other social situation, you can choose to leave it if you want.

PS I haven't met Peggy, and dearly want to, and have met Paula and am so glad that I did!
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-14-2011), paula_w (09-14-2011), soccertese (09-14-2011)