Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Confused Questions

It wasn't all that long ago my young daughter was diagnosed with what the Endocrinologist called "Insulin Resistance" associated with PCOS.

I've just been re-reading
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ind...rticle&id=2582
from Alzheimer's Forum.

It says in that link

Quote:
It has previously been known that insulin resistance, a characteristic of diabetes, is tied to neurodegeneration. While scientists have suspected a link between diabetes and Alzheimer's disease, this is the first study to provide evidence of that connection.
  • Is that for real? Neurodegeneration?
  • So "insulin resistance" basically means diabetes? What do they mean... a characteristic of Diabetes? She was told she did not have diabetes.
  • Neurodegeneration??? Good grief. She's 22. She's been dealing with this severe brain fog and problems with memory since she was almost 17 when she had some major surgery. Was almost like a switch. I was concerned her surgeon had taken out an Adrenal gland with the kidney, but he didn't.
  • My family has no diabetes history as far as I know, but we certainly have multi-generational history of dementia and Alzheimer's Disease. My grandmother with the dementia actually probably had AD but it was a very long time ago that she died and I think it was called "hardening of the arteries to the brain" back then... just from childhood memory
  • Ok so I'm freaking out a little about this supposed "neurodegeneration" connected with insulin resistance particularly as she's been having these memory problems and brain fog through all her studies and every doctor she's ever seen has just dismissed her concerns. It makes it very difficult for her.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (09-14-2011)