View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi anj,

I can offer you some information to help you clarify some things. When there is a suspected dry socket, the dentist will numb the surgical area and use a curette instrument to remove the blood clot and scrape the bone inside the socket. This procedure is done to remove necrotic (non-vital) bone and granulation tissue that was left behind after the extraction. The scraping of the bone also causes a good amount of blood flow so a new blood clot will form. The clove oil is used to help soothe the surgical site, keep the clot from dissolving too quickly and speed the healing. If there were an infection on the gum or outside of the surgical wound, the socket would not have needed to be debrided and clove oil would most likely not been used.

STOP using the Corsodyl (chlorhexidine).... the burning and itching reaction indicates an allergy or sensitivity to it. I've had many patients who cannot tolerate that chemical and get the same reaction. Just use warm salt water rinses 3-4 times a day... no other mouthwash.

The white half moon area may be your bony ridge, which would be normal. The wound will remain open for several days but keep in mind that the blood clot inside of the socket is healing the wound from the inside out even though the wound is open. Eating a soft diet for the next several days is recommended so as not to disturb the surgical site.

If you smoke, drink alcohol or use mouthwash that contains alcohol, the surgical site may not heal well or at best it will take much longer to heal. Did your dentist suggest that you come back to see him in a few days to check the wound?

Bryanna
Thank you so much for your reply. I am so glad you told me about the corsodyl I will stop immediately. My dentist didn't mention dry socket, he had just packed it and put me on amoxicillin 500mg for infection in the gum which i will finish tomorrow night. He didn't invite me for a recall either The gum tissue is still extremely sore and stinging, but I am now getting worried, I am experiencing pain, like a burning/cutting - (like when a tooth is trying to push through the gum) in my upper and lower gum behind my wisdom teeth? the left upper area (left upper is where I had my extraction) where the wisdom tooth has actually been removed a good few years ago. I am also experiencing itching around all of my gums and my mouth feels incredibly hot. It soothes instanly if I eat some icecream, but comes back instantly also. It seems to occur stronger during the evening. I am taking ibuprofen, codeine and my antibiotics, I also try to keep it as clean as possble by gentle brushing and using syringe with salt water. I have stuck to the soft food diet and drink water regularly. Could the corsodyl mouthwash have caused this strange itching? It is alcohol free.
Sorry to bother you again, your help is greatly appreciated
anjjiel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote