Thread: feeling alone
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Rsd Kittie! Sooo Glad fto see your Post! I was thinking about the dilemna of the RSD and the wheelchair/scooter problem. Is there ANY way that your Doctor could write a Prescription so that you can get an ELECTRIC wheel chair with some sort of toggles to use for navigating around to make it easier on your hands?

The lady who used to live across the street from me had very bad polio as a child and her hands were SEVERELY affected...she had an electric weelchair that was nice, small and COMPACT for tight corners in her house...she also had these toggles that were really easy to use. She was able to go for outings in the neighborhood in her cool wheelchair! I know that she had to plug it in at nite to re-charge the batteries. She LOVED THE FREEDOM it gave her!!

She also had her VAN adapted and had toggles put in instead of using the steering wheel. She was VERY ADEPT at DRIVING!!!!!!!! It was TRULY AMAZING! She took me out for a little "spin" before she moved---she was better than most of the other drivers on the road, and I would NEVER have hesitated to drive with her again!!

Between her electric wheelchair and her van-conversion, she REALLY GOT AROUND, and even took LONG road trips EVERYWHERE!!

It might be something to discuss with your Doctor!!! It mght be PAID FOR by whatever medical insurance you have--your Doctor just needs to write a VERY comprehensive letter explaining and JUSTIFYING the medical necessity.
Might really be worth a try!

I look forward to your messages this weekend, RSD Kittie!!! Keep hanging in there!

Most Sincerely,

Brokenwings

P.S. The lady also had a SEATBELT for her electric chair!!!!! Kept her from falling out!!

Last edited by Brokenwings; 03-17-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: the p.s.
Brokenwings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote