View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Hi, lulabelle:

I also have CRPS (RSD Type 1). I had been using Duragesic (fentanyl patches) for several years at the dosage of 100 mcg (one patch every 72 hours) when a group of doctors (psychiatrist, neurologist, and anesthesiologist) forced me to wean off of my fentanyl patches if I wanted to receive the lumbar sympathetic nerve blocks I wanted so much.

I was able to wean off of my fentanyl patches in exactly 18 days (6 days at 75 mcg, 6 days at 50 mcg, 6 days at 25 mcg, then I was at 0 mcg). I had no bad withdrawal effects; I just had some diarrhea. The only problem, which was not caused by withdrawal but by my having CRPS, was very severe pain, because I did not have any fentanyl in my blood to control the pain anymore.

After the group of doctors who had promised to give me the lumbar sympathetic nerve blocks if I was able to wean off of my fentanyl patches did not give me the blocks (they just wanted to get me off of the fentanyl patches, no matter how much severe pain I would have), I asked my primary care doctor to prescribe the fentanyl patches for me again. Now, I am at the dosage of 125 mcg (one 100 mcg patch and one 25 mch patch every 72 hours). The severe chronic pain that had come back after I was forced to wean off of my fentanyl patches disappeared.

Depending on how you feel while weaning off of your narcotic, it will take you either a short or a long time to wean off of it. Only time can tell. There are also medications to ease the withdrawal symptoms, should you have any.

Good luck!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote