View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erz1 View Post
Hi,
I've never joined a support group before, don't quite know what to expect but have been living with trigeminal neuropathy from dental work, for 6 excruciating years now. I see a lot of emails about neuralgia, but not neuropathy: constant intense burning above my lip brought on by a needle to the mouth.

No need to say what a struggle to go on. I don't do well with meds--acupuncture helps n a bit, sometimes. I don't want to be discouraged from living-- am a single parent (my kids have no other family), a writer and a teacher. Don't want to be another statistic associated with this condition. If anyone else has had relief, please share what worked. I'm looking into magnet therapy, which I was told might help. Also, lowering oxolate intake. Thanks

Elyse
I'm not a medical type, but I think that neuropathy refers to damaged nerves while neuralgia refers to pain from misfiring or overactive nerves, at least this is what I've learned from reading about TN. Hopefully someone will come along and clarify this info for me where needed. Regardless of what its called, you have facial pain and you're totally welcome here, although we're always sorry to welcome new folks to this group. I wish I never knew what facial pain was and I wish the same for everyone here. There is a lot of good information(and people here) and if you read through the forums, you'll find posts about what others have found that works for them. I'm on medication, but not the typical anticonvulsants used for this type of pain. I can't tolerate a lot of those medications. I do use mindfulness meditation to cope with the constant pain. You can find books and CD's on this at the library. The author I started with is Jon Kabat-Zinn. He conducted a study at Mass General using these techniques with chronic pain patients. Its a coping strategy that I use all the time and I feel its worth practicing, but it does take practice to use it effectively. I have read of others who have found some relief using a TENS unit, but I don't have any personal experience with that. Hopefully others will see your message and post their experiences as well. Take care and make yourself at home, EE.
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote