View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I really doubt...

vitamins would be a huge issue. What is concerning is the use of drugs in
a compounding setting that are not FDA approved. (not that FDA is worth much these days anyway! )

Using a compounding off label (all compounded drugs are off label) loop hole
can be dangerous.

That Hopewell link, came from a search I did for Carolyn_Isc who is injecting
methyl B12 every 3 days, and shows no blood levels....for YEARS. Now, one
has to wonder if she is really receiving what she thinks she is? We discussed
this on the vitamin forum.

Myer's cocktails are typically compounded. Many transdermal pain gels, containing ketamine and other drugs not available topically, and converting
oral meds to a liquid for children. Such as Prevacid and Prilosec. (I make these often myself). When the liquid is ordered, for Prevacid or Prilosec, the final
product is legally considered "off label" immediately.

One thing of concern is steroid abuse.(in athletics). I am sure this is one area the FDA wants control over. I wonder however, about enforcement. How that would be done. Many people in Hospice cannot swallow, so many oral meds need to be reformulated for them. Each drug has specific problems and requirements when put into liquids...this can be a huge liability in and of itself.
Often compounding pharmacies have different insurance as a result.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote