View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default winged scapula and a host of other problems

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this in the TOS thread because it seems like a lot of the winged scapula threads are here (I've searched them and read through them), even tho I don't have TOS (although I've had symptoms that were very similar to TOS).

I'm 21 and have been injured for over 2 years now. My 'injury' wasn't really an injury per se; I was an elite olympic-style weightlifter and woke up one morning in 2009 after a really great meet and realized my right upper back (between the medial border of my scapula), rotator cuff, lower neck (like C6 and C7) as well as my bicep and tricep were in complete spasms. Looking back at a photo of me taken a few weeks after the 'morning after' my scapula were noticeably medially winging (not dramatic, but noticeable) when they had lied flat before the injury.

2 years later, the scapula are still like that (no amount of serratus or lower trap work has changed it), and my pain and discomfort is unbearable, with spasming on BOTH sides now (the worst spasming is still in between the medial border and the spine, as well as the superior angle of the scapula and in the insertion point of levator on the skull, and the greater tubercle area on the posterior side of my shoulder (although everywhere from about T12 up through my neck experiences various degrees of spasm and pain).

I have no life anymore, can't do household chores, let alone be an athlete, and am at the end of my rope. I've seen and done about every kind of therapy that exists, and still no change (minor change with a chiropractor who adjusted my first rib and occiput, and that alleviated some of my TOS symptoms). I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this? I heard about long thoracic nerve palsy and am curious, but don't feel like my winging looks to be at the level of most patients who have LTN palsy.

Here is a picture of my back for reference, as well as more detailed symptoms below (for those of you who make it that far). Thanks in advance.

Current symptoms
• Body is twisted (per current physical therapist) ie rotated pelvis, shoulders etc
• Pain at C1 on L and R
• Scapular winging (hasn’t improved even with enormous amount of strengthening exercises)
• Terrible trigger point superior angle of scapula
• Knots in upper back and in between shoulder blades (been present since injury in 2009)
• Trigger points in rotator cuff muscles, and shoulder girdle muscles in general
• First rib pain
• Pain on R side of spinous processes of cervical spine and thoracic
• Can’t raise arm laterally or else feels like my fingers are going to rip (this is rectified when serratus is ‘adjusted’) => mostly just right
• Pain/tenderness at base of skull (posterior)
• TMJ
• Constant need to crack my shoulder blades (do this by violently retracting one shoulder blade); both sides
• Subscapularis pain/tightness on right side
• Grinding/clicking of collarbone when I move my arm behind me along sagittal plane (right side)
• Grinding at T1
• Weakness in right hand and lack of strength in arm (used to do planks, arm would fatigue and shake)
• Trigger point on one of ribs (serratus? Intercostals?)
• Tightness/cramping/tenderness in right forearm (slightly on left)
• Extreme lack of mobility – cannot extend my fingers when arms are abducted
• The things that always aggravates this condition are 1) sitting in a slouched position (in a chair – I always have to sit either straight up or put a pillow that aligns my head); any kind of lifting or overhead movement of arms (even putting dishes away)
• Other things that aggravate: carrying a backpack on my shoulders (even one that has nothing in it), overhead movements, any weight bearing activities on my arm;
• RELATION TO PELVIS/HIP ISSUE????????? FEET????!!!! (arch on left foot = awful)
Attached Thumbnails
winged scapula and a host of other problems-img_2272-jpg   winged scapula and a host of other problems-img_2276-jpg  
rizzo02481 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote