View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Incredible post. Very inspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Giving up the things you love can be hard but the bigger struggle is learning how to look at life and appreciate it.

Those of you who are offended by those of us who make such comments are just as offensive to us. We did not easily give up the things we have had to give up. There is not a magic pill that allows us to give up soccer without any struggles.

There is a saying,
A foolish person does not learn from his own mistakes.
A smart person does learn from his own mistakes.
A wise person learns from others mistakes.

Life is not about the next 10 minutes or the next day or the next week or even the next year. Life takes a lifetime. Unfortunately, the younger generation has been sold a bill of goods about every moment needing to be the best. No time in life to do without or sacrifice a bit now for much more later.

The concept of delayed gratification is not taught anymore. There are many of us who have great wisdom from our life experiences. There are others who want to complain any time our life does not go the way we want.

Not having enough fun, pop a pill or energy drink or some such to boost the enjoyment level.

If you want to go on and try to have a full life, you need to start by gaining knowledge and understanding about your condition. Knowledge is power. It allows you to make better decisions.

Learn to identify your symptoms and dysfunctions. You ease of crying is called emotional lability. The same goes for your outbursts. Accepting that these are symptoms of your condition allows you to learn to work within that framework. Republican House Speaker John Boehner is prone to crying. It is not a character flaw. It is a physiological condition. Now, if you cry and "whine," that is a character flaw.

There are plenty of fun and exciting things in this world besides soccer and racing motorcycles. Expand your horizons and investigate some of them.

My father had no interest in snow skiing until he tried it as a way to be with my brother and I. He had skied as a youth and was not interested in taking it up in his late 40's. If he had not been willing to give it a try again, he would have been stuck in the ski lodge or waiting somewhere while we skied.

He spent the next 35 years skiing as many as 60 days a year. He skied until the year before he died.

So, look around and find other activities to try. Try them long enough to get past the beginner's struggles. Then, you may find a new person hiding inside what was the old you. That new person may just meet the finest woman ever who love the new activity you have found.

And while you are at it, stop trying to hide from your symptoms. They are no different than near sightedness or farsightedness. Everybody has something that does not work right in their body.

btw, I used to love riding dirt bikes. Started riding when I was 14 years old. My wife has been extremely fearful of them. I chose her over dirt bike riding. I get her 7 days a week. Dirt bikes are only a once in a while activity.

Life is a series of trade-offs. Learn to make those trade-offs with grace and that fine woman will appreciate that character trait in you.

Remember, until you can accept the person you are, how can you expect that fine woman to accept the person you are?

My best to you.
lindberg711 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote