View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dicyclomine, a smooth muscle relaxer may help PCS

Greetings, I'm new to the board. My Dr. just suggested Botox; I'm a researcher with PCS. I was wary of Botox and my research has shown me to be correct. that's how I found this site. In June, by accident, I found that dicyclomine took away an 18+month headache I sustained after a fall resulting from a burglary. I still have headaches and use a chiropractor who can adjust my head and upper palate as well as the more common spinal adjustments. But thay are not as brutal as they were; I can actually think and move without head pain now. Dicyclo is not expensive and while everyone keeps telling me its not for long term use, they keep letting me use it. 20 mg 4/day. It does have a sedative side effect so I don't always use it 4 times a day but it works. The theory is that, since it's a smooth muscle relaxer, it relaxes the muscles in the neck and allows more blood flow to the brain. My research has found nothing to contraindicate this theory. Botox on the other hand threw up a bunch of red flags. Since is paralyzes muscles it seemed antithetical to the way dicyclo works. In less than an hour of research into botox and migraines/PCS I've decided that the risks far outweigh the potential benefits of this treatment. I was an FDA Investigator. Just because something is approved by the FDA doesn't mean it's safe. I'll be doing more research on this issue and at some point I'll write an article for my blog about it. Are we allowed to give resource sites? I'm going to take the risk and say check*edit*at some point. Also, my doctor is recommending methadone as a safe alternative to narcotics for chronic pain. I was badly and permanently injured. I'll be checking that out too. I set my initial profile to not receive emails. I'm not generally active on discussion boards. I may come back to this board for more info at which time I may actually put up a profile and change my em status. This site helped me make a very important decision re: botox. In my highly weakened state, I think it would be a disaster. If you use nutritional supplements, are you aware the FDA is trying to crush the industry with new and unnecessary legislation? There is a lot of info on my site; I collect no info about you if you just read; and I don't spam folks if they leave a comment. I'm a public servant. My info is free; my concerns are for our health. sorry: but the FDA law is not a good one. I'll make a note to come back and post info on methadone when I find it; I'm going to try this avenue unless I find something truly horrible in my research; I don't think I will; I've inspected methadone clinics; it seems fairly benign as pain treatments go. *edit* Blessings. Shasta

Last edited by Jomar; 09-17-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: per guidelines on new member linking / promoting another site
Shasta50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote