View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 05:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=Bryanna;806719]Hi anj,

It is not a good idea to take the clyndamicin on an empty stomach. You could have had that unpleasant reaction after you took it because your stomach was empty and you were dehydrated. It is imperative to drink as much water as possible every day to keep yourself hydrated because the dry socket and surgical wound will not heal properly if the body is dehydrated. Do not be afraid to drink water from a cup.... this is perfectly ok and will not disturb anything.

I was sure you had a dry socket based on what you had described here. That's why I couldn't understand why your dentist was not being more proactive in treating it and then re-evaluating it in a day or so. Usually, the socket is retreated a few times during the the initial 7-10 days from the first packing. Did the emergency dentist tell you to see your dentist for a follow up?

I still think that the corsodyl and the repetitive irrigations of the socket that you were doing has irritated your mouth and gums. Of course you were only doing what you had been told, but in retrospect it was obviously doing more harm than good because you are sensitive to the chemical and you had a dry socket which should not have been irrigated at home. Corsodyl is commonly an allergen or sensitive agent for many people, we don't even use it in our office at all. Again, drink as much water throughout the day as possible to stay hydrated and this will also repetitively rinse off the oral tissue.

I know you are concerned about your flight on the 26th... I would see the dentist at least 1-2 more times this week to re-valuate the socket and if need be re-pack it. A severe dry socket can take several weeks to heal. That doesn't mean it will hurt that whole time, it just means the bone takes longer to heal because the blood clot was disturbed or it never formed properly in the first place due to residual infection in the surgical wound. Your dentist should be able to tell by the end of this week how things are going... but I would see him sooner to recheck it and then again a few days later.

I hope this information is helpful to you... I know you are very worried. Please keep us updated on how things are going.

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna,
I am so glad you have been here to help me through all my concerns, I would not have known what to do or what not to do.

Yesterday the emergency dentist irrigated the area again and re-packed it. He also did an x-ray to see there were no foreign objects, everything seemed to look normal, he said the socket looked a little better than the day before and thinks its should be ok in 3-4 days. He didn't mention anything about going back to my Dentist though. He told me not to start salt-washes until this evening and he gave me some of the dissolving paste/dressing to pack the socket myself, but only if I felt pain (not sure I would know what I'm doing myself though) He also gave me some numbing gel to help with the pain of gum sores. He changed the antibiotics to amoxicillin again lower dose 250mg 3 x daily. The other antibiotics were making me feel terrible.

Do you really think I should go back to my own dentist? I am a little weary of him, but if you think its necessary, should I leave it a day or two as I have only had it re-packed last night?

Just to ease my concern, is it normal for my upper gums along were the extraction was to still be feeling swollen and very sore? The pain is not in the actual socket, its on the gums all the way across.

I am so grateful for all your help. I do believe you were right about the corsodyl also, I asked the dentist not to irrigate the site with it which also felt better, than before.

Will keep you posted
anjjiel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote