View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCPMC View Post
I talked a hundred miles an hour before she had not time to take her morning coffee.
I became a shopaholic.money no object.
I even wrote back to the company doctor saying what I thought about him.
It's funny, because I am convinced (due to my response to starting on a gluten-free diet a year or so earlier, which allowed my immune system to recover for a short time before my MG diagnosis) that all of those problems can be traced back to an underactive immune system.

When I had to take a short-term high dosage course of steroids (60 mg/day), I found myself eating anything that wasn't nailed down, getting angry at everyone around me, and finding that my ability for self-control slipped away. I was only on them for about 2 weeks, but the adverse reactions were IMMEDIATE!

On anything below 20 mg/day, generally physicians will not see these reactions (I stopped being ravenous, angry, and overly impulsive when I went back down to my normal 10 mg/day dosage, and became much more pleasant to be around - I have remained gluten-free since April, 2008). Anything above that, and they start seeing "monsters" popping out of patients....

So no, you weren't imagining things - I just wish doctors would recognize that these issues are (underactive) IMMUNE SYSTEM problems in other people who may not necessarily be on steroid treatment.

Steroids DO suppress our immune systems, and our immune systems do so much more than just protecting us from illnesses -
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote