View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

http://www.clanthompson.com/exp_doct..._category_id=4

This says 'either' mother or father. Not BOTH mother and father. I think your doctor is mistaken to say that two copies of a predisposing gene must be present to develop Celiac Disease. When the above reference says "HLA DQ2/8" it should read HLA DQ2 OR HLA DQ8, not DQ2 AND DQ8.

I have also heard having two predisposing genes may further increase your risk of developing the disease, but only one copy is needed. You certainly don't need both types of genes...as in both DQ2 AND DQ8.

30% of the general population carries one of these two predisposing genes. Only 1% of the general population go on to develop Celiac Disease (as defined by villous atrophy).

Many people who don't have Celiac Disease have symptoms related to gluten sensitivity . That is the part our doctors don't always tell us.

Has your child also had the antibody tests run? Do any other family members have Celiac Disease? Are there symptoms that look like gluten sensitivity/celiac disease?

Cara

P.S.
I always cringe a little bit when I hear some of the experts completely rule out Celiac Disease by the absence of DQ2 or DQ8. It is supposedly extremely rare (1% of the 1% who develop Celiac Disease), but I have crossed paths with two people who are antibody positive/ biopsy proven Celiacs with a genetic type of HLA DQ1. Unfortunately, you don't see much about that in print. I'd hate to be the individual with a missed diagnosis based soley on being the exception of statistics.

Last edited by jccgf; 08-25-2006 at 03:53 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote