View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi anj,

I'm glad that I could help you
I am also glad that you had the socket packed again last night. When you do the salt water rinses for the next few days, use only a little bit of salt and rinse gently. If you develop a dull throbbing pain in the socket, then dampen the end of a q-tip and place a little bit of that packing material inside the socket hole pushing gently with the q-tip. Don't be afraid, you only need a little bit and make sure to use the clean q-tip, not your finger. I would avoid any further at home irrigation for several days. After that you may not need it at all.

If you develop a severe throbbing pain in the socket, then yes, see your dentist.

I think you may have developed some canker sores or aphtous ulcers around the surgical wound and perhaps elsewhere in your mouth. Here are some pictures of what they look like...
http://www.righthealth.com/topic/Pic...9&kgl=39841546

One of the best ways to deal with these sores is to take probiotics every day. Twice a day during the outbreak. You just need to take them 2 hours apart from your antibiotic. I may have mentioned this to you before... I use a probiotic supplement called Culturelle just as a nutritional element in my daily diet. We also recommend this product to all of our patients who are on antibiotics and those who develop canker sores. It works really well to replenish the good intestinal flora that is destroyed by medications, daily stress, and basically any illness especially when you take it on a daily basis.

I hope you continue to improve and please feel free to ask more questions! If things go good, please let us know how you are before you leave for your trip!

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna,
I am so glad you have been here to help me through all my concerns, I would not have known what to do or what not to do.

Yesterday the emergency dentist irrigated the area again and re-packed it. He also did an x-ray to see there were no foreign objects, everything seemed to look normal, he said the socket looked a little better than the day before and thinks its should be ok in 3-4 days. He didn't mention anything about going back to my Dentist though. He told me not to start salt-washes until this evening and he gave me some of the dissolving paste/dressing to pack the socket myself, but only if I felt pain (not sure I would know what I'm doing myself though) He also gave me some numbing gel to help with the pain of gum sores. He changed the antibiotics to amoxicillin again lower dose 250mg 3 x daily. The other antibiotics were making me feel terrible.

Do you really think I should go back to my own dentist? I am a little weary of him, but if you think its necessary, should I leave it a day or two as I have only had it re-packed last night?

Just to ease my concern, is it normal for my upper gums along were the extraction was to still be feeling swollen and very sore? The pain is not in the actual socket, its on the gums all the way across.

I am so grateful for all your help. I do believe you were right about the corsodyl also, I asked the dentist not to irrigate the site with it which also felt better, than before.

Will keep you posted[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote