View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just had a telephone consult with my neurologist. First thing I mentioned was the possibility that Levaquin (flouroquinolone) may be the cause of my PN. He said there was no connection. He said there was some evidence that it damages tendons. He thought, though, that it was interesting my numbness, tingling, and nausea began soon after I took it. He also didn’t think Levaquin could cause PN because the PN would not have gotten progressively worse after I stopped the Levaquin. He did agree to read the information that I’ve been reading that connects Levaquin to PN. He gave me his fax number. Can you recommend the best research article (ie, from Dr Cohen?) that might get his attention? He insists on research that has medical authority (ie, NIH). Not sure it will change his mind but I believe it’s worth the effort. Even if he doesn’t listen to me, maybe he’ll listen to the next patient who has a similar story.

I mentioned some other possible causes to him to be tested including hypothyroidism but he said my TSH levels were within normal range and not worth pursuing. In fact, he said all the labs that were ordered (see results above) were everything that was needed to determine a cause for the PN, and since everything fell within “normal” range, that there was no need for further testing. He said if there’s been no noticeable progression of the PN, I should wait for my regular appointment with him on October 28th, so at least I have that. At that time he said he would pursue the possibility of small fiber neuropathy. I'm not sure where that will go.

Regarding B12 methyl-cobalamine, I started taking 5000 mcg per day four days ago. Each night though I was having palpitations and was keeping me up. I noticed it can be a side effect. So given that possibility, this morning I reduced dosage to 2500 mcg (broke my pill in half) and I’ll see what happens. Regarding the benefits of B12, I’m not sure if it’s the reason, and I'm a pessimist by nature, but I did not have the burning/cold sensation in my feet the four nights I took it. My last B12 lab before this was 339.

I asked the neurologist if there was anything I could do for my PN symptoms in the meantime such as supplements. He said I could take a multivitamin but to avoid zinc and B6 (I don’t remember why). I told him I was taking B12 and planning to take Acetyl Carnitine and CoQ10. I’m planning to begin Alpha Lopaic Acid (600 mg), Acetyl L Carnatine (750 mg in three increments) and CoQ10 (Ubiquinal) (100 mg).
mtanker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote