View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks for replying..... Your my 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 343v343 View Post
Glad you're on the road to recovery. That is good to hear. Did you notice an immediate relief in your symptoms? I have heard many say as much. What sort of odds are they giving you for a prognosis ? It's hard when the literature suggests only about a 40% success rate, long term. My fear is going through all of that only to wind up back at square one or worse.

I too have bilateral symptoms so it would be I'm guessing a double case of surgery though I know they can't do them at the same time. What are you able to do or not do while in recovery? Did you do any scalene blocks to confirm a diagnosis? I am guessing if there were circulatory issues involved then the case for surgery was probably more clear cut.

Will you return to work? Or?

Lately I am finding it hard to do little things like drive. The vibrations in the steering wheel seem to excite my nerves and it feels like a painful tickle. Frustrating and scary because I don't recall seeing that listed by anyone else. Seems people report more outright pain.
Hi 343v343
At the moment I think it is too soon to say whether I have any improvements. I'm day 20 post op. Lots of niggles and aches, breathing is not great and sleeping is rotten..... Hey ho, all in the name of recovery I guess... or at least I hope!!! However I'm pleased to say that lots of the inflammation from the op has settled but quite some time to go yet.
I'm being signed off work by my GP every 2 weeks so far to see how I go. I have absolutely no idea what time scale I will be off work. I keep thinking that I'm okay to start gentle activities but soon feel the effects of the surgery..... achy, achy and more aches! I'm trying to keep a brave face in front of everyone but its beginning to dawn on me that recovery and return to work is going to be alot later rather than sooner. Unfortunately I'm starting to get abit frustrated that I can't get on with tasks yet or write (my first op - and due another on opposite side- was performed on the side I write with and I'm a classroom teaching assistant..... it doesn't look good for me ).
I still feel abit headachy after walking so I'm focusing on my breathing to try and improve my oxygen intake and help with the healing process and gently expanding my chest. I have realised that I breath very shallow, and when deep breathing feel very uncomfortable in my arms and back of shoulderblades????
I'm due to see my vascular surgeon in 4 weeks so will hopefully be fully informed to how everything went, what exactly was taken out, etc etc and what will happen regarding my left side. I must admit that its very unnerving to know that I have to go through all this again.... I just so hope it makes a difference for me. At least for the moment I can be grateful even though sore that my artery is not being squashed, with the first rib out there should be plenty of space for everything to settle.
Has anyone used Bio oil, I hear its good for scars? Mine are pretty big ( about 2and 1/2" wide above and below the collarbone so I would like all the advice possible to help heal and improve the look ( if possible ) to their appearance.
I hope all goes well for you.... This is not a nice journey we are on!
RE: work.... now thats a topic for discussion. Over the years I have reduced my daily hours significantly, and dropped a job ( playgroung duty in the school that I work) that involved ringing a bell and standing outside in all weathers ( aggrevating my Raynauds prob ). I now work 3 hours/day in the classroom..... Well hopefully, that is if they keep me on!?
Best wishes and take care. SD38

Last edited by SD38; 09-20-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Additional details re: work
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote