View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Many health insurance companies code neuropsych testing under mental illness coding which is incorrect when it's due to a physical injury. Most health insurance requires pre-approval regardless.

Make sure it's being coded under medical-closed head injury. The standard universal medical code is 294.9 for physical head injuries.

Neuropsych testing is extremely expensive, averaging between 10 and 15 thousand, so health insurance companies are stringent about approving it.

I've had three, one for each insurance company involved, my health, my auto, and the at fault driver's insurance. Two were six hours and one was two eight hour sessions...All were mentally exhausting for me...I "crashed" for a few days after each one. I don't drive right now, but even if I could have, I wouldn't have been able to due to mental fatigue afterward.

DON'T HESITATE to take breaks, have a snack, take a lunch break and have plenty to drink. Wear something really comfortable and take a list of any meds you're taking along with the dosages. If you have issues with headaches when reading or concentrating, take an analgesic with you and don't forget reading glasses if you need them.

Also, try not to stress out if you don't know the answer to something during testing, just say, "I don't know". It's a perfectly acceptable answer.
Jinxicat9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
easeinbeing (09-22-2011)