View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Sorry but there is a problem. Monitor your blood pressure. I just got a reading of 175/105. Not good since I usually run about 140/90.

I'll watch it and let you know. It may vary from person to person too.
This is what I found, but claims hypertension is a side effect of a 250-1000 mg dose..My BP runs on average about the same as yours, but havent checked mine lately..I have doubts that 5-8 mg would elevate BP

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...methorphan.htm

Side Effect Profile: Adverse effects with recommended antitussive doses are rare. However, nausea, other gastrointestinal disturbances, slight drowsiness and dizziness can occur. Following acute doses of between 250-1500 mg, the following clinical and overdose symptoms have been reported: excitation, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, nystagmus, dilated pupils, body itching, rash, ataxia, sweating, hot/cold flashes, fever, hypertension, shallow respiration, urinary retention, diarrhea, opisthotonos (spasm where head and heels are bent back, and torso is bent forward), toxic psychosis (hyperactivity, marked visual and auditory hallucinations), coma, and an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature. Side effects can be serious if very large doses of the combined preparations are ingested; for example, guaifenesin and dextromethorphan can cause severe nausea and vomiting; chlorpheniramine and dextromethorphan can cause seizure, loss of consciousness and bleeding.