View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

Yes, I recall... PCOS patients often are given metformin.

The newer version is called Glumetza. I don't know if it is available where she is tho. It is designed to be ultralong acting to minimize GI effects. But the drug itself does stimulate the gall bladder and that is my issue, I think now.

Here is the new paper on it:
Quote:
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011 Aug 24. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04210.x. [Epub ahead of print]
Impaired Gallbladder Motility and the Effect of Metformin Therapy in Patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
Isik S, Nursun Ozcan H, Ozuguz U, Berker D, Tutuncu Y, Akbaba G, Guler S.
Source

Ministry Of Health, Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Ankara, Turkey Ministry Of Health, Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Department of Radiology, Ankara, Turkey.
Abstract

Objective:  Impaired gallbladder (GB) emptying is a well-documented contributor to gallstone formation. The aim of this study was to evaluate GB motility in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Methods:  The study population consisted of 36 PCOS patients and 20 healthy controls. GB volume was calculated using the ellipsoid formula (π/6xLxDxW) after three dimensional measurements were made by ultrasound [length (L), width (W) and depth (D)]. Following the determination of fasting GB volume (V0), patients were given a standard liquid meal. GB volume measurement was then repeated after 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 75 and 90 minutes. Gallbladder ejection fraction (GBEF) was calculated after each measurement. PCOS patients were re-evaluated after a 12-week course of metformin therapy at a dose of 1000 mg/day. Results:  Mean baseline gallbladder volume (V0) was significantly higher in the patient group compared to the control group (27.2±12.5 cm(3) vs. 13.3±7.0 cm(3) , p<0.001). While baseline GBEF values were similar between groups, increases in GBEF were significantly lower in the PCOS group starting from 20 minutes after consumption of a standard test meal. A 12-week course of metformin therapy resulted in significant improvements in GB volume and GBEF values with a reversal of metabolic and hormonal abnormalities. Conclusion:  For the first time in the literature, we managed to demonstrate impaired GB motility in patients with PCOS. Metformin therapy not only improves the metabolic and hormonal imbalances associated with PCOS, but also has a positive influence on GB motility.

Copyright © 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

PMID:
[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
I was okay with it for several months, with minor looseness.
But the nausea, burping and pain just started this summer.
I stopped it for a while, got better, and restarted it early last week. By Fri I was pretty sick again!

I've had many spells over the years, one landing me in the hospital 35 yrs ago...but no stones or other pathology show up in testing. I think it is spasms, because my antispaz meds work on it. The burping is better today too, and hiccups gone.
One day I was massively dizzy... and I have been in bed with a heating pad on my side for days!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (09-21-2011)