View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen67 View Post
Hi L.L., actually, my husband snores. He has a c-pap machine but the new mask he has is too small for him. I think I need to find a way to measure his nose and mouth so he can get the correct size mask. But to be honest, foot pain is doing the majority of the damage to my sleep pattern. I have another symp. nerve block on the 30th of this month and I am going to ask my PM doc about it. Both my Mom and my Aunt take trazadone (sp?) and they both swear by it. I just feel kinda funny doing the suggesting of a medicine to my PM doctor. Not sure why, but I do. maybe for now I can try sleeping in the guest room. Karen
Wow Karen!!!! You simply must get over feeling like you cannot suggest a medication or a treatment to a doctor. If he/she is not comfortable with your increasing knowledge, which may well include treatments/meds that are unfamiliar to him/her---RUN LIKE LIGHTNING!!!!!!! The same holds true for meds or treatments that you have determined through your own research not to be in your best interest. This is particularly true in the case of pain management doctors who many times make the lion share of their money doing procedures, which sometimes, and particularly in the case of CRPS can benefit the physician more than the patient.

If you are just not experienced in making suggestions to doctors and being a "saving consumer" when it comes to your health, there are lot of us who can help you become more comfortable!!!!

What you want to develop is the ability to be a partner with your doctor. A partnering relationship sets the tone for self advocacy, part of which is questioning, doing your homework, and at times dragging the medical profession behind you.

It sounds like you may be in an ideal situation with a doctor who treats many CRPS patients. (Although numbers can be risky since some physicians who treat CRPS are the one way docs, your are the nail and he/she is the hammer).

Getting suggestions from folks here at NT is only a start. Get busy and do your own research and go to original sources. You might start by reviewing clinical trials and journal articles. Some of the research is a little heavy and difficult to interpret if you don't have a background in evaluating research methodology, but you will learn from the process. Also, check the references at the end of the articles.

You Go Girl!!!
ballerina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyRI (09-23-2011)