View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After being involved with a multitude of these injections for various physicians as a rep. I figured I could toss in my 2 cents.

The term 'symphony shot' won't bring up much via google because symphony is an older name of one of the brands of platelet rich plasma. The more commonly used term is PRP injection.

About the injection itself.. It is more uncomfortable than a steroid shot. Just be aware of this going into it. Especially if it's being injected into a tendon. Don't plan on working the next day if you can avoid it. Remember you're creating a space in a tendon where there normally is no space.

As a patient ask your physician a couple of questions...
1. What is the concentration of growth factors / platelets in the product they use? There are actually some PRP's that only isolate the plasma(very low on growth factors) but are still sold as PRP and are rather inexpensive thus widely used. A platelet/GF concentration around 5-6x baseline is a good target for the premium PRP's. It's been presented that much more than that could possibly ramp up the discomfort afterwards.

2. Does your physician use ultrasound to locate the injury? Under ultrasound they can see exactly where the disruption is located and theoretically have a higher success rate post-injection. While this isn't mandatory as I've seen great success with and without ultrasound, it just seems more consistant results using it. (a potential cost increase)

Btw don't expect instant relief from this. Some injuries can require multiple injections and some patients find satisfaction with just shot. Either way you'll mumble curses about your doc due to discomfort.. But in this case pain really does equal gain, and if a couple of injections kept me out of the operating room then I'd be all the happier.

Best of luck to you
BigE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote