View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Make sure you're off the Mestinon for 24 hours--preferably more--before your SFEMG! It can give a false negative. Also, make sure you're nice and warm. If the room is cold, or you're chilled, they can warm you up with a heating pad.

A SFEMG doesn't involve electric shocks. That's the good news. They will put needles into your skin, but they're thin needles like used in acupuncture. Then they'll ask you to slightly tense the muscle and hold it. The whole thing takes about 45 minutes. They'll try different places. The needles stay in for a while while they collect data.

If the needle hits a nerve, it hurts, but you don't have to put up with the pain. If you tell the doctor it hurts, he can move it to a less sensitive place.

The muscle-twitching isn't new, is it? I ask because that can be a side-effect of Mestinon. Mestinon also makes my mouth water. I'm lucky that it doesn't bother my stomach--that's a common complaint.

I hope you get some answers soon, and that they're answers you can live with. Hang in there. Let us know how it goes.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anne Marie (12-09-2013)