View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello MrsD,
I'm hoping you can offer a bit of insight...

About two years ago I was diagnosed with low platelets, and what I thought was a back injury, Though several mris did not find anything unusual, about 6 months later I started to get intense numbness in my legs. Several doctors later I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency by my neurologist, I was treated with Cyanocobalamin shots twice a week, then once a week, then once a month for about a year, my neurological symptoms improved from when I began treatment, but hasn't completely ceased and tents to come back towards the end of the month (before the next injection is administered). I was getting my monthly shots from my primary care dr. but when I became pregnant, by dr. wanted to check my level first, then referred me back to my neurologist.

My neurologist referred me to a gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with positive antipariatal cells and he told me I didn't have the intrinsic factor, I was also checked for celiacs disease, which was negative.
The Gastoentologist gave me an injection of cyanocobalamin but It had been about two months since I had a shot, and I was 7 weeks pregnant. At 9 weeks, I miscarried. I am now reading that B-12 deficiency can be linked to miscarriage. While at the dr. I asked about a prescription for methlycobalamin injections but he wasn't familiar with them and gave me a prescription for cyanocobalamin injections 1000mcg once a month.

Two months later, I am pregnant again, now 5 weeks, I have been taking the cyanocobalamin injections monthly, as well as 1000mcg sublingual b12 tablets daily. I had my injection a week and a half a go, and now my legs are already starting to feel numb again. I'm very concerned that I don't have the proper amount or type of b-12 to have myself or my baby be healthy. so my question is this:

What is the recommended dosage of B-12 injections for pregnant women who are unable to absorb the vitamin in their stomach?

Where can I acquire Methlycobalamin as an injection?

If I can't get the Methlycbalamin as an injection, will the methlycobalamin sublingual tablets be helpful to someone who cant absorb it via stomach?

Is it possible that although I have been on a treatment plan that I could still be deficient due to getting cyanocobalamin instead of methlycobalamin and do I need to make up for that?

Are there any doctors you would recommend in the NYC area who specialize in b-12 issues?

Thank you so much for all of your posts, already I realized I have been taking my sublinguals with food, when I should be taking them without!

I would appreciate your insight into these issues, I would love for my neurological issue to be resolved, as well as to have a healthy pregnancy.
Thank you!
Holly
mikotoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote