View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default internet learnings

I keep thinking of the admonishments to stop reading all those internet sites from physicians. Yes, I know there are lots of inaccuracies out there. Yes I know there is much to be known about science and interpreting what is available requires skill and education. Yes I know the arcane language used in professions function to keep outsiders from learning the secrets of the profession, thus preserving the purity and guarding against others invading the tribal like communities.

Realized last evening the reason I enjoyed Ann Patchett's book, "Bel Canto" was the situation in which all the characters were placed equalized them; no one was better than another based upon education or societal standings. one's true character was the elevating element. as another aside, her newest book "State of Wonder" concerns dealings of a pharmaceutical company. This is not the major theme (a heroic journey to self discovery is the theme), though most of the characters work for a pharmaceutical company.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote