View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb value vs cost....

Since this subject has come up... I thought a bit about it last night.

Because of my training and experience I only suggest things that I know
work and have data behind them.

For example this attack on Puritan's is interesting. Here is their
biography:
http://www.puritan.com/house/company...34C41B0CA7797E
Quote:
The scientists and researchers in our laboratories have worked closely with state and federal agencies, including the FDA and the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), to establish many of the test procedures that ensure the potency, stability and purity of our products. Puritan's Pride also manufacturers products under very stringent GMPs (Good Manufacturing Standards) - a distinction that few vitamin companies can claim.
Another company with the GMP stamp is NatureMade. I also use their products. (SAMe and D3, evening primrose)

GNC's website does not have any detailed information at all, about themselves , except for investment opportunities.

My impression is that the running of a retail business with its resultant overhead (payroll, rent, electricity) is added into the prices of the items that they sell. By using careful internet shopping one can save alot of $$, and
receive quality. Some internet places really charge alot for shipping...using a graduated scale. So if you buy alot, then you pay alot just for shipping and handling. Puritan's does not do this, they charge a flat fee of 3.95 for whatever you choose.

Over the years, we have in this house, used supplements alot. When you need many things, you have to consider cost. That is why I include quality suggestions and alternatives to high prices. (and that is why many people use iherb.com as well). Puritan's does not have everything we need. But I do use them for my "basics". I use Costco (carries NatureMade), Sam's Club, and occasionally RiteAid (for the buy one get one free sale semi-annually for my SAMe), and iherb.com for my B12 and P5P. I have also purchased things at WalMart, which is becoming one of the best selections of nutrients I have seen lately-- far better than drug stores, and with good prices.

I stopped my membership at Consumers Lab after two years. Why? Well, they automatically billed my charge card without my permission for the yearly
renewal. I found that reprehensible. I did not sign a permission or request for them to do that. After that time, I found that after reading them for 2 yrs there was not much new for me to learn, so when our card changed to BP, and the number changed, they were thwarted..they sent me several emails which I ignored. I now apply that twenty some bucks to my supplement budget!

NJPain... please read more carefully.... I did not say CHEAPEST anywhere. I said lower cost and value.
No one is saying your GNCs do not work... no where did I say that.
And I would add that your product is not technically a "multi vitamin". Multi vits typically are in the RDA range in strength like Centrum and OneADay.
The high potency formulas with high dose ingredients are typically called therapeutic. (at least in the medical arena where I live).

I am no longer going to respond to this thread.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 03-18-2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: BTW.. adding....
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote