View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphirrain View Post
I guess I'm totally screwed. I started drinking between age 7 and 8 and was a full-blown alchoholic before I was a teenager.
You're not screwed, you just might have to make a life long commitment to sobriety.

I also always identified myself as having alcohol addiction issues when I was quite young. After going through some psych testing recently, it was noted in the report that the alcohol was given to me by a parent, and was used to keep me compliant, so the abuse I underwent would continue to remain hidden.

As an adult, I always feared I'd end up an alcoholic, but I haven't had any addiction issues. I was so paranoid I went undermedicated for years, even though it was the equivelant of allowing myself to be tortured 24/7 x 365 days x 4 years.

If you haven't examined how and why you started drinking so young, please find a therapist/sponser you trust. And/or join AA/NA.

Also, the relationship between underage drinking and an increase in addiction has been known for a long time. My family has serious addiction histories and I explained this info to my son around age 10 and kept the dialogue actively open through the years. I explained to him that his body would react differently to alcohol at 12, then it would if he was 16, until his body fully matured. At age 20 he had his first beer, and he'll have 1 or 2 at a party, but he has never been drunk. Although he has spent plenty of time taking care of friends and gf's that have been...
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-03-2012)