View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogomom View Post
I had Chiari decompression surgery on November 12, 2010. I also have RA (diagnosed about 5 years ago). Many of the Chiari symptoms I was experiencing were attributed to my RA until the symptoms got so severe that my Rheumatologist determined they could not be part of the RA based on the treatment I was receiving and referred me to a Neurologist. Because I have RA, I'm more suseptable to acquiring other auto-immune system disorders so it was a relief when the MRI showed Chiari I malformation with a 1.7cm protrusion into my spinal column as the diagnosis.

I was barely able to walk before the surgery, complete lack of balance, had nearly constant eye twitching and also had occasional episodes inability to swallow and of difficulty breathing (felt like I ran a marathon and couldn't catch my breath when I hadn't done any physical activity) I only had severe headaches when I sneezed or coughed so I'm grateful I didn't suffer the severe constant headaches that others have.

Thankfully, I have a great primary care physician and she and the Neurologist researched Neurosurgeons and found a fantastic one in my medical system. She specializes in Chiari I malformation in both childrens and adults. I'm also extremely thankful (after reading through posts on this thread) that she does NOT believe in cutting into the dura lining unless it is absolutely necessary. She did tell me that there is a risk during surgery that the lining ruptures because of the fluid pressure and she would then (obviously) have to do the patch. Luckily, the surgery went very well and my lining stayed intact.

I had surgery on Friday and was home on Monday. I actually felt so much better right after the surgery, even considering they cut through my neck muscles, because of how severe my symptoms were. I still have to deal with the RA but that is relatively minor compared to how I was before the surgery.

My neurosurgeon said I would experience some of the symptoms for 6 months to a year, possibly a little longer, but the symptoms would grow more infrequent and less severe. They have - I still experience occasional symptoms but they are more and more rare as time passes. My neck still hurts if I do too much but that also is SLOWLY getting better with time and hasn't affected my ability to live life. The anti-inflamatory medication I have to take for my RA seems to deal well with the neck pain so far.

The symptoms I am dealing since the surgery that I'm finding difficult are that I cry at the drop of a hat (I have never been someone who crys easily). A sappy song will come on the radio and I find myself in tears. I also have tons of anxiety now. I feel a bit like and emotional basket-case, easily overwhelmed and not as able to deal with stress. I have dealt with my RA for 5 years, the Chiari symptoms that got so horribly bad, and the surgery pretty well so it seems odd and irrational that I would become a bit of an emotional trainwreck AFTER the surgery that helped me so much. Anyone else dealing with emotional issues or am I just a nut case?

Anyway, I am overall extemely happy with the outcome of the surgery and my physical recovery.
I had chiari decompression surgery feb 2011 and I am also very emotional . Anti depressants did not help but I am also paranoid (I had total 8 surgeries prior to decompression on the VP shunt in my head to relieve the pressure. 9 brain surgeries in 14 months have made me paranoid, not knowing when the shunt will malfunction again.) Seroquel has helped me be able to sleep instead of laying awake worrying. This has helped tremendously...not being sleep deprived. Hope it helps knowing you're not a nut case.....I am too..Ha Ha! Take care and talk to your doctor about all your symptons. Don't stop talking til they find something that helps you. Good Luck, Donna
res5562965 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dogomom (09-23-2011)