View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Nicole,

The oral surgeon is right, small sinus perforations usually heal on their own. The dry socket is actually more of an issue than the sinus perf because it takes a long time for the bone to recover from the infection and then fill in properly. The surgical site will close before the bone actually heals. This is normal and not anything to worry about. If a few months or so down the road you develop pain in that area, then it would need to be evaluated with an xray to see the condition of the bone. Otherwise, an xray taken at one of your dental hygiene appointments in a year or so is adequate enough to show how well the bone has healed.

Yes, the tissue will look red before it turns pink. And yes, you could be experiencing referred pain in other areas because nerves basically run in bundles which connect to other bundles of nerves. Hope that picture gives you a better idea of why other areas might be uncomfortable or sensitive. As the bone heals, the inflammation within the bone will subside and the nerves will calm down.

It sounds like things are doing ok.... try not to worry.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry socket girl View Post
Hi Bryanna,
Wanted to give you an update. Saw the oral surgeon today and he said it looks good and he did a test again. This time no air came out when I blew he said he did not see anything and I do not feel air going up or out the socket. He said that these 95 percent of the time heal on their own but take a while. He wants to see me in 2weeks. At that time he will see how the hole looks.he said it is still red and wants it to be pink. I am not sure what he means by that. The hole is red now but I think it is red before it is pink is that right? It is almost closed is that what he wants to see? Sorry for all the questions. I know this is good news but I am still down cause today it is tender and my tooth two teeth from the site, the one next to the extraction site is not there is still sensitive when I speak. I am not so sure it is even the tooth anymore and it is just coming from the site. Did you ever hear of anything like that? Both the dentist and the oral surgeon said it is referred pain and once the hole has closed the nerves should calm down. I am just having such a hard time being positive. I can't see what is going on like if you cut yourself you can see the wound, I can't see a oaf and I don't understand the nerves in your mouth. I have been dealing with this since august and am just frustrated. Thanks for your ear. I did ask if being 6 weeks is a long time for this to heal and he said no they take time. I have read how some oral surgeons just go in and fix it instead of letting the body try to heal on it's own so I respect him for that
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote