View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluetoday View Post
So, from my understanding Dystonia is related to Parkinson. Im just wondering why its not in the same section as Parkinson. It is a movement disorder, but has some significant characteristics similar to parkinson...just a question and I was wondering if im alone here
Dystonia is involuntary muscle contractions; the movements/termors/spasms can be so small as to be unnoticeable, and at this level cause no harm, except perhaps wee embarrassment if others notice. Dystonia is related to Parkinson's as a human fingernail is related to a cat's claw-- they're made out of the same material, but Parkinsons's always a very serious condition, whereas dystonia may be merely an occasional irritation.

Now I'm not making light of your affliction. Dystonia can be severe, and be screaming for medical intervention. It can affect just the face ; just the neck (in a condition called torticollis); just one hand. It can flare up for no reason, and also for no reason go away and never occur again. Like Parkinson's, it appears to develop due to a problem with dopamine uptake and/or production. Dystonia isn't considered a sure-thing precursor to Parkinson disease. I think that's why moderators don't lump dystonia in the same section with Parkinson.

Like Parkinson's, massage therapy won't cure dystonia, but it can provide a level of comfort without danger of making the condition worse.
GaryA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote