View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There is a fundraising event here in Oregon (and at least in one other state) where people run an obstacle course that is made to make them feel some of the symptoms you could get with MS. They have a long trench of thigh deep mud you have to run through. There are all kinds of obstacles in it, and I can't remember what they are (thanks MS).

Maybe you could set up your own obstacle course. Like wear thick snow gloves while trying to put on a coat with a zipper.

Then look through binoculars backwards and try to fix a cup of coffee without making a mess.

Then the flipper on one foot and have them walk across the room and the spinning them around and then do simple balance tests.

You could have them sit at a table and try to write nicely while someone shakes the table.

Also the walking with weights strapped to their ankles.

If you could have them cross their eyes so that they see double and thread a needle.

Put a girdle on them and tighten it up just to where it's uncomfortable (to keep it safe) to simulate the hug.

Most of my symptoms are pain and you really don't want to simulate those for safety reasons, but the way I would describe my legs would be if you wrapped hot black top around my legs on a summer day. Trigeminal Neuralgia is like to worst toothache you've ever had in several different places and something pushing intense pressure behind your eyeball.

I can't seem to think to give you any more suggestions but if I come up with any I will let you know. But I want to say that I think it's great that you are doing this. Most people just don't understand MS at all. The invisible symptoms are the most difficult at times. Most people look at someone with MS and will say, "You look so good!" That can be so frustrating when you feel so crappy! It's nice to see people raising awareness for MS, thank you!

Kristie
nemsmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (09-26-2011), dmplaura (09-29-2011), SallyC (09-24-2011), TXBatman (09-24-2011)