View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Nicole,

Well thanks for the kind words... I really just want to be of help if I can ;-)

Generally red gum tissue indicates inflammation or bacteria. In your case, it could be that or it could be trauma from all that that little area has been through. I don't think it is related to the sinus perf. It may not change to pink... but I think eventually it will.

Feeling pressure in your sinus when you talk.....perhaps that is inflammation of the sinus cavity from all this damp, humid weather. I'm in NJ and we are dealing with the same crap here. Have you tried taking an OTC decongestant? A supplement that is helpful with sinus issues is called Quercetin. Here is an informative website about what it is..
http://www.quercetinguide.com/
The product that I am most familiar with and recommend to others is made by Jarrow Formulas and it's time released capsule.

I hate to disagree with the nurse, but a sinus perf can be felt if it is causing an airflow from the nose to the mouth that wasn't present prior to the procedure. Some tiny perfs close so quickly that this physical symptom never occurs... in that case, no a person wouldn't be aware of it.

I think you are healing and it is going to take more time than you would like it to. Just be mindful of what you are eating, drinking and be diligent with your oral hygiene while on vacation. Definitely have a fabulous time wherever you are going... hopefully it's warm and sunny.... and let the healing happen ;-))

Please let us know how how you're doing when you get back!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry socket girl View Post
Bryanna,
You are so sweet and comforting. I thank you so much for your help. I have 2 more questions and than the next time I write will be with the end result of this all. Both dentists oral surgeon and regular said they wanted the tissue pink. They are a little concerned it was still red but the dentist said sometimes it never turns pink and stays that way till it is healed. The oral surgeon did not say this but I got the impression that it is not good it is red and maybe because of the sinus perforation. I could be wrong on that one. What do you think on that? The hole closed more last night and is not that big anymore but I think until it is healed over I will continue to have sensitivity so I will accept that. The other thing is when I speak I feel sinus pressure in the middle not on any side. I just feel stuffy. I am in Ny and the weather here is really bad the last few days. It is raining all the time, very humid and muggy and I feel every sinus issue is contributed to the hole. A nurse told me you don't feel anything with a perforation and many people do not know they have it so she does not think that has to do with the hole and just with my sinuses. What do you think? Bryanna you have been a huge help to me and I will let you know how this ends. Thank you. I am scared because I think that down the road I will have issues but that is just fear. But the dentist who performed the extraction was terminated by the practice because of this situation. I don't think because of the way it was done I think because of the lack of compassion and the dismissal attitude he displayed. But that also makes me think hmmmm?

UOTE=Bryanna;808609]Hi Nicole,

The oral surgeon is right, small sinus perforations usually heal on their own. The dry socket is actually more of an issue than the sinus perf because it takes a long time for the bone to recover from the infection and then fill in properly. The surgical site will close before the bone actually heals. This is normal and not anything to worry about. If a few months or so down the road you develop pain in that area, then it would need to be evaluated with an xray to see the condition of the bone. Otherwise, an xray taken at one of your dental hygiene appointments in a year or so is adequate enough to show how well the bone has healed.

Yes, the tissue will look red before it turns pink. And yes, you could be experiencing referred pain in other areas because nerves basically run in bundles which connect to other bundles of nerves. Hope that picture gives you a better idea of why other areas might be uncomfortable or sensitive. As the bone heals, the inflammation within the bone will subside and the nerves will calm down.

It sounds like things are doing ok.... try not to worry.

Bryanna
[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote