Thread: SCS Coming Soon
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile A welcoming HOWDY DO to you, Yellow!

This is THE place in which to receive a welcoming chorus of thoughts and opinions regarding SCS! I came here in April [is that right Rrae?] 2010 wanting to learn about the psych eval initially and was wowed at the information I was able to discern through those who share. Most docs will provide information speaking to a hoped for 50% improvement in the pain level you experience as an indicator of whether the SCS is right for you. I do know one thing, during my trial of seven days duration, continuing my pain management meds as instructed while using the SCS I felt NO pain...... now, of course, that is using SCS while medicated.

Being a stubborn sort and wanting to be rid of the mind fogging meds, ultimately after permanent implant last year I did successfully wean off of all pain meds. Does that mean I feel pain now? Some. But then, if pain becomes intolerable, I can turn up the signal on the Boston Scientific remote and achieve a level of stim which overcomes the pain. I thank God for this wondrous invention!

During the week of Trial, I was encouraged to engage in minimal activities since there were only slight sutures and probably a whole roll of medical tape holding the leads in place and firmly to my back for the week. I was instructed not to bend, lift, stretch arms above my head, or twist, a litany I reduced to BLAST for remembering the limitations, knowing during the Trial it was JUST those seven days.

Since my Trial was so successful, the permanent implant was scheduled, and BLAST became a part of my life for months after the implant surgery, as I did not want the paddles implanted in me to risk movement. The surgeon, a great guy, ultimately relaxed my movement restrictions, and if you read posts by KZLRogue [Rogue, where are you?!?!?!?!] you will learn she was allowed to return to Golf and Karate after her implant surgery..... about a year or more after as I recall.

So, Yellow, look at the forthcoming Trial as a window upon which to gaze at opportunity. Opportunity to better manage pain. Opportunity to regain some of life from which you may have backed away. Also keep an open view to the possibility that the stim might not render what you desired. You have surely read some posts from others who recognized that reality after receiving it. As for me and my thoughts, it is Defintely worth a try.

Any Questions pre-Trial, just post 'em here on your thread and we will surely chime in [of course, JoanB will probably use her mandolin or ukelele instead ].

Caring,
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JoanB (09-24-2011), ron h (09-25-2011), Rrae (09-25-2011), Sophie_ (09-25-2011), yellow (09-24-2011)