View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Dana,

You should get all of the xrays of her entire mouth that have been taken within the last 3 years and keep them in your possession as you may be taking her to more than one dentist. It is imperative to make sure ALL of her xrays pertaining to that tooth including before the first root canal all the way through to the most recent one taken. These xrays will tell the story better than anyone can tell it.

I would call several oral surgeon offices if necessary and ask one question... Does Dr___ treat patients who have a tooth infection that may be complicated by the use of an oral bisphosphonate drug? If the answer is vague or definite denial.... move on to the next oral surgeon. If the answer is, we recognize that drug can contribute to jawbone healing... bingo, go there!

Not to get off subject, but I'd be remiss if I didn't share my information about vitamin d deficiency and supplementation just in case you are not aware. Vitamin D deficiencies are very common in older people as well as a huge portion of the population in the US. The written prescription for vitamin d is usually Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) which is not easily metabolized by the body, especially in older people who are lacking digestive acids and enzymes, making D2 more of a toxicity than anything else. In my personal and professional experience, one of the best absorbed vitamin D supplements on the market today is made by Biotics Research, it's called Bio-D Mulsion Forte...it is an emulsified liquid form of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and each drop = 2000 international units. Here is the information....http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/central/

When there is a vitamin d deficiency, the supplementation is usually a high dosage to start off with because lower doses will not be stored due to the deficiency. The idea is to build up the serum level to an optimal range and then lower the dosage to a maintenance dose in the attempt to keep the serum level at an optimal level at all times. This supplement, bio d mulsion forte will elevate her vitamin d levels fairly quickly if she is taken mega doses of it, so she should have a serum test 3 months after the start of her supplementation called 25-hydroxy vitamin D, another name for the same test is 25 OH Vitamin D, to see what her levels are at that time so her supplementation can be adjusted accordingly. This is the most accurate serum test for vitamin d according to the vitamin d council. Some physicians are still ordering the wrong test that's why I'm offering you this information... google vitamin d council for more info.

Your mom is so blessed to have you looking out for her well being. I know you will be better informed as you take this journey with her and hopefully you will not have too much trouble finding an oral surgeon who can properly help her.

Keep me posted!!
Bryanna

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC02 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks again for your replies -- and for all the wisdom you so generously share here. No, the dentist explained next to nothing, certainly not what you explained. Actually, he spent more time explaining the dangers of Clindamycin than about the root canal procedure and possible complications.

We're looking at the IAOMT list now, plus we have the name of an oral surgeon recommended by my mom's internist. The internist called this morning because he said recent blood work indicates my mom has a severe vitamin D deficiency that requires a prescription for a few months.

In your opinion, do we call a few people for consultations? That seems reasonable because of the circumstances. Yet we realize there's a need for urgency. Also, will an oral surgeon want the endo's x-rays?

Thanks again.
Dana
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote