View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have also been suffering from capsilitus in my two big toes for the past 8 weeks! (Diagnosed via an MRI). I wore some new shoes (flats, with my orthotics -- go figure!!!) and apparently that caused it (never had it ever before). The shoes looked sensible and good (cute maryjanes made by Aetrex) but for some reason they made my big toes hurt after wearing them for only a couple of days for a few hours each day. The whole thing is really strange. My podiatrist doesn't know why it happened.

Now I have to wonder if my sloooooow healing of the capsilitus is due to B-12 deficiency. (I know for sure it's not gout -- I don't have gout). I'm getting very impatient from sitting/lying around for 8 weeks waiting for my stupid toes to stop hurting (left is worse than the right), and am considering the cortisone shots. Hearing that the shots worked for you is encouraging to me. I need to start exercising again, and this inability to walk well has really been annoying. I can only wear one pair of shoes -- my sneakers with my orthotics! Everything else hurts my big toe, even my wooly slippers which are usually very comfortable! It was so embarrassing recently to go to a professional meeting all dressed up, but wearing my dirty old sneakers, limping around.

Like you, I eat a well-rounded sensible diet. Unlike you, I'm about 15 pounds overweight. But anyway, my Vitamin D was in the toilet as well a few years ago. I now take 4,000 IU daily and my level is around 50 now. Interestingly, my 15-year-old daughter had a blood test recently and we found that her vitamin D level was 35. I need to talk to her pediatrician to see if she should also be taking a supplement. She eats a lot of dairy and gets sun and is healthy except for some anxiety issues (the reason for the blood test) -- no reason for her to be borderline deficient!!! I think that everyone should have their Vit D and B vitamins checked. It's so important!

Good for your for refusing the Lyrica. A neurologist wanted to put me on that for some sciatic pain I had been experiencing and I said NO WAY. I just didn't have the type of symptoms that were necessary to take a drug like that -- especially given the possible side effects. In that case, a little acupuncture and some skilled shiatsu massage solved the problem instead of drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
Wow - what a fascinating and informative thread. Thank you all for your help.

I had my first visit with a new MD, and had CBC, Vit D, and thyroid testing a few weeks ago. My D was "in the toilet", using his words. (33 out of 32 to 100 mass/volume test range.) This surprised me as I do use a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, and drink OJ with Calcium and D almost every day. I also try to eat well, with lots of veges, fruits, whole grains, meats, and dairy. At the moment, I don't avoid any food groups. However, he suggested an elimination diet, which I will start after I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

After reading on this thread, I wonder if my B-12 is also low. I didn't get a copy of my bloodwork; I keep forgeting to do that. I will do that this week!

It seems that if I am not absorbing the D I've been taking, maybe I am not absorbing other nutrients either.

I three meals plus snacks, sit at a desk most of the day, and am stuck at almost 115 pounds, which is thin for 5' 5".

I started having PN symptoms early this year, though I didn't know that's what it was. I went to a podiatrist when my feet hurt so much I was using crutches and couldn't drive. He diagnosed capsulitis and PN, and gave me cortizone injections in my feet for the capsulitis, and suggested Lyrica for the PN. The capsulitis has resolved, but the tingling in my feet and thigh is still present. I didn't and won't take the Lyrica, after reading the side effects.

I'm going to give the B-12 a go.

Last edited by zeeclass6; 09-25-2011 at 11:17 PM.
zeeclass6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote