Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Thanks for that history.

This is what I see:

1) according to the NEW scale for thyroid disease, which goes from 0-3.0...you are hypo. The old scale went from 0-5.0 and is still used, but many doctors are switching to the new one.
SO... you are in limbo with that. The older doctors will not treat, but a newer one will. My PN started with borderline hypothyroid and I resolved almost 100% with treatment. This will be a battle for you to get done.

2) Vaccine injury is real thing, but most doctors don't believe it. Vaccines stimulate immune response because of the added adjuvants in them which provoke cytokines, which are inflammatory molecules that circulate in our bodies. Sometimes this goes nuts and these then attack our tissues instead. Did you feel ill right after that shot? Fever, or aches etc? Chronic colds and upper respiratory infections, suggest you are low in Vit D. This should get tested. Fixing it will improve your resistance to infection.
I am not finding specific references to Pertussis vaccine, but other vaccines have caused what is referred to as "post vaccine neuropathy"
and it can also occur with the common flu vaccine.

3) Were you given antibiotics for your colds and cough? Levaquin, Avelox or Cipro? These drugs cause PN in some people..and treatments for it are lacking. I have a post in the subforum about this. So did you receive either of these drugs?
Do you take a statin for cholesterol?

At this point, you can try to use a magnesium supplement either oral or topical and see if the twitches improve. Low blood sugars during the day, can cause many symptoms. It would be a good idea to get that glucose tolerance test results to see if you have reactive hypoglycemia. Sometimes doctors ignore this, and only look for HIGH signals. The lows are important too.
Low blood sugar spells cause numbness, tingling, muscle twitches and anxiety...all the things you have.

These days after being online for over a decade, what I see are people who are told "normal" but who in fact are not. Their doctors don't interpret the test results completely. It happens with B12 results, Vit D and glucose results.

This is my magnesium thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html
It is estimated that about 70% of Americans do not eat foods providing this mineral and hence are low. Target 1/2 the RDA from that post as a starting point. Choose a good product and NOT the oxide form which is in many supplements.
You can choose to use the lotion, and that may help faster with your muscle twitches. CVS Epsom lotion at CVS pharmacies.

So when you get your test results, post them here.
Did they do a Vit D test on you? Very low D also causes problems...so if that was not done, please get it tested ASAP.
Come back here with the results, and do not use the RX the doctor may give you--it doesn't work well. You will need D3 which is only over the counter and is the active form for humans. The RX is D2 and from plants, and NOT active.

Medicine today is very complex, and unfortunately with all the details doctors are quite lost at times.

You may be able to find a neurologist who is informed, but they are few and far between. Johns Hopkins has a center and so does the hospital Glenn goes to in NYC. There may be other good ones, but they are hard to find!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 09-26-2011 at 02:38 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote