View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Cyn - First of all, I think it is great that she is doing this. Please share this with her . . .I started getting weekly massages back in late January/early February. The hug and spasticity were so bad at that time I was actually swollen all around my ribcage and basically had to just lay in bed due to the pain - muscle relaxers and/or Ativan barely put a dent in the pain. Over the course of the 1st month, things improved and have continued to improve. She only does a 1/2 hour gentle massage but it has helped me out so much. Recently, the hug started acting up again. All the intercostal muscles are in a tight spasm making it uncomfortable to sit and to breath. Once again, she has been able to work them out, for the most part, and has been coming twice a week. I have not had to take a muscle relaxer in months due to the massages, at least that is what I feel (although there are some days I probably should).

In addition to what others have posted, here is a link to a MS simulator. I know I posted it before but it is a great way for others to get a glimpse of what it is like to have MS. http://havingms.com/simulation If she has some sort of projecting computer or even a laptop to bring in to class and they have internet access, it would be both fun and informative to her classmates.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Oh, wait. Can bring in food, any kind would work, and walk up to those eating it and just shake their arm or jerk their arm to simulate the tremors some of us MSers deal with. It would be hard to give an example of fatigue but, as I explain to others, it is like coming down with the worst flu you have ever had - the kind where your body aches and you're so tired you just have to go to bed. Most people will know exactly what you are talking about. Some of us MSers deal with that on a daily basis.

I wish her all the luck in the world. Please let us know how her project goes and keep us updated.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (09-26-2011), dmplaura (09-29-2011)