View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

You're welcome, wasabi~

Your mention of Lyme Disease does not surprise me. It seems a fair number of people who have lyme disease have gluten sensitivity, too. I've been told people have noticed and discussed this on Lyme Disease boards as well. We've had quite a few conversations on GS/CD board trying to decide what really comes first. Does gut damage (leaky gut) from lyme disease set the ball rolling to develop gluten sensitivity? Or does the gut damage, nutritional deficiency, and compromised immune system from gluten sensitivity/ celiac disease... cause one to more easily succumb to lyme disease (and other things, like h. pylori, sibo, etc)? Seems like it can be rather circular.... perhaps go either way... but does frequently occur together.

In any case, we've had a few members pass through the GS/CD who have had both lyme disease and gluten sensitivity (and b12 deficiency, too!). These conditions can all cause similar symptoms, and all of them must be treated in order to get well.

I've also known a few who were diagnosed with fibromyalgia first, but improved only after discovering and treating the celiac disease. It can be a long process for people to uncover these co-existing conditions... one by one, over time. They may not always go together, but sometimes they do... and they all need to be diagnosed and treated.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote