View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeclass6 View Post
I have also been suffering from capsilitus in my two big toes for the past 8 weeks! (Diagnosed via an MRI). I wore some new shoes (flats, with my orthotics -- go figure!!!) and apparently that caused it (never had it ever before). The shoes looked sensible and good (cute maryjanes made by Aetrex) but for some reason they made my big toes hurt after wearing them for only a couple of days for a few hours each day. The whole thing is really strange. My podiatrist doesn't know why it happened.

Now I have to wonder if my sloooooow healing of the capsilitus is due to B-12 deficiency. (I know for sure it's not gout -- I don't have gout). I'm getting very impatient from sitting/lying around for 8 weeks waiting for my stupid toes to stop hurting (left is worse than the right), and am considering the cortisone shots. Hearing that the shots worked for you is encouraging to me. I need to start exercising again, and this inability to walk well has really been annoying. I can only wear one pair of shoes -- my sneakers with my orthotics! Everything else hurts my big toe, even my wooly slippers which are usually very comfortable! It was so embarrassing recently to go to a professional meeting all dressed up, but wearing my dirty old sneakers, limping around.

Like you, I eat a well-rounded sensible diet. Unlike you, I'm about 15 pounds overweight. But anyway, my Vitamin D was in the toilet as well a few years ago. I now take 4,000 IU daily and my level is around 50 now. Interestingly, my 15-year-old daughter had a blood test recently and we found that her vitamin D level was 35. I need to talk to her pediatrician to see if she should also be taking a supplement. She eats a lot of dairy and gets sun and is healthy except for some anxiety issues (the reason for the blood test) -- no reason for her to be borderline deficient!!! I think that everyone should have their Vit D and B vitamins checked. It's so important!

Good for your for refusing the Lyrica. A neurologist wanted to put me on that for some sciatic pain I had been experiencing and I said NO WAY. I just didn't have the type of symptoms that were necessary to take a drug like that -- especially given the possible side effects. In that case, a little acupuncture and some skilled shiatsu massage solved the problem instead of drugs.
The capsulitis became very apparent when I got off my mare, after dropping my foot the last 6-8 inches to the ground. A fews weeks before that, I had tried a new pair of hiking boots. I laced them pretty tight, and used a lace locking tie to try to avoid major heel slippage. I only wore them about 30 minutes, but my feet didn't feel the same after that. I think I caused or exacerbated both issues with the tight shoes.

My sneakers made my feet hurt more. They were comfy, but made my feet fatigued after a while. Like, they didn't bend in the same place as my feet? Maybe that was the issue with your mary janes. I got a new pair of sneakers which are more comfy. I also got a pair of Teva sandals, with the adjustable velcro across the toe, instep, and heel. I made the straps as loose as I could, so they wouldn't hug my feet. Pretty sloppy, but I wore them that way for weeks. They have some arch support, and some tread. I think they helped, or at least didn't make issues worse.

If you do get the cortisone injections, be aware they hurt plenty. But, it's just during the actual injection. The second round of injections is less painful, as hopefully you have healed some. Hope you get relief soon.
AlwaysLearning is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote