View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Eenie,

So that's good that there's no obvious tooth infection brewing!!

The gum area that you speak of .... I'm assuming it is along the gumline where the bridge meets the gum and it is perhaps a bit inflamed?

Sometimes the actual gumline margins of the crown/bridge are what is called subgingival (below the gumline) making that area irritated/inflamed or supragingival (far above the gumline) making it a trap for plaque. Either of these situations can cause a constant gum irritation and discomfort. In either case, usually thorough brushing and flossing will keep the irritation to a minimum. If the irritation becomes chronic, then a deep pocket will develop and the tooth will become compromised.

Sometimes the angle of the bridge is compromised for whatever reason and one or more of the units of the bridge are pressing into the gum tissue. This is not acceptable and means the bridge needs to be redone.

The herbal ointment is most likely oil of cloves and a local anesthetic. This is usually used to reduce the inflammation, but it's not necessarily a cure if the culprit of the irritation has something to do with your bridge. This ointment is also applied to a canker sore ulcer for temporary relief. Perhaps you have a little ulcer there?

Glad you have relief... hopefully it will stay that way!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eenie View Post
Hi Bryanna, thanks for reply. Saw another dentist in practice today and he thinks problem is to do with gum area over bridge. More tests and definitely no nerve death, although he did say it could be dying!! Put some herbal ointment round bridge and it is at least 80% better (Think it has oil of cloves in) So fingers crossed. But am not letting them rush into RC. Have never had RC. Basically this is the first dental problem I've had for at least 20years, so suppose I've been lucky. Radiographs (x3) at different times showed no pathology. fingers crosed
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote