View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellief View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Does epilepsy just mean someone that has seizures or is it a disorder where you have seizures? Just trying to understand if there is a difference between "having seizures" and being defined as epileptic.

I had a few more bad episodes this weekend. Fell on the stairs during one, dropped a bag on another, and having jerky tremor during them now. I have another call into my neurologist this morning to hopefully get me OFF amitriptyline and change the gabapentin! My rheumatologist mentioned trying lamictal. Anyone know if that will help fibro too?

Thanks for the support... I feel like I'm crazy and just need to vent on here.
I read somewhere that 80% of people will have an [U]unprovoked[U] seizure during their lifetime. I have seen several definitions of epilipsy, and they differ somewhat. All state that epilepsy is a neurological condition involving electrical activity of the brain. Some say that epilepsy features seizures which result in loss of consciousness. I'm not sure that is accurate.
Focal seizures can be localized to a specific area of the brain and typically do not result in loss of consciousness. Complex seizures may have altered consciousness, but not loss of consciousness. Not all seizures are grand mal/tonic clonic with motor symptoms and loss of consciousness.
But, I think in general that epiliepsy is defined as recurrent seizures which must be controlled by medication. (or surgery if medication cannot control the seizures).
I'm happy you have a diagnosis. I hope your treatment is successful.
neurotwam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote