Thread: Sciatica
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Sorry for the delay responding to this. I suffered from Sciatica after a tailbone injury around 1997. It wasn't until I think 2003 or so I finally got the courage to have a cortisone injection. I remember being sore for about 3 days and then one day I went to the mall and by nature, I sat down. It wasn't until then I realized I didn't need to sit because I had no pain.

My quality of life really increased after getting these shots, and I've heard they vary so much by person in terms of results. Some don't work at all, and some are like me - very lucky (and I wont ever take it for granted!) and have them last a full year.

I get an injection around once per year, sometimes a bit longer. I normally have one as soon as the other wears off (and boy does it bring back reality). I also had injections in my right hip for bursitis when I had my very first cortisone injection. This was because due to the sciatica pain, I would shift my weight and sit in this awkward type of indian style position, bearing a lot of pressure on my right hip resulting in bursitis. That was the first and only shot I needed once I started this treatment.

I've heard bad things, such as people get them too frequently. You can't expect 100% results, it will still flare up now and then. Getting too many shots can damage the area with scar tissue and such. So if/when you look into it, do your best to spread them out as far as you can.

The pain is not bad at all (the shot) they spray on this stuff to numb the area, then you get a numbing shot (sometimes, I had one doc who didn't do it) and do an injection of cortisone in the SI area, sometimes they do a shot of the anti-inflammatory stuff, I don't know what it is to be honest (which should apply to you as you're biking). Now, don't confuse this with a nerve block, that hurts. I've also had a shot directly into my joint which feels rather weird more than it hurts (it makes sound, too - which is gross).

I am not a fan of needles, but I will praise these shots. There's no words than can explain how much more I've been able to do now, and I'm thankful for being able to do them pain free.

Finally, don't get one of these shots from someone who doesn't do them basically daily. Look for someone in Physical Medicine, or even Sports Medicine. Remember you will have breakthrough pain, ice it or give it a day or two - don't rush back for a new shot. I think you can only get a max of 2-3 per year. Aim for only 1 per year.

Good luck finding some relief.

PS: Stand with your legs crossed if you stand for a long time, it takes some of the pressure off. You look kinda silly, but it works!
Ellie, according to research I've found through google, cortisone can have some very nasty side effects, including degeneration of muscle tendons and some suggest that it can "eat" into bursa, causing leakage. But if it works for you, good!

According to several studies I've read, almost all cases of intermittent sciatica is caused by soft tissue--muscle tissue trigger points which cause hypertonicity that can compress the sciatic nerve. One or more muscles deep within the posterior hip are likely to be the cause of your recurring pain.
The piriformis is the most troublesome; it originates low on the sacrum and attaches on the greater trochanter of the femur. The sciatic nerve passes right below it, and in 25% of the population, the nerve passed through the heart of the muscle!
A single trigger point therapy session with a licensed massage therapist may just resolve your sciatica issue. Problems within the spine don't come and go with activity, so it probably is nerve compression by muscles within the posterior hip.

But sometimes a little stretching of muscles not used too much since you were a kid is all that's needed.
GaryA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote