Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have some exercises that I do for visual stuff related to vestibular and some that are more balance related.

Visual Stuff: Focusing on an object while tilting my head up and down for a certain time; then side to side; using beads on a string to work on the convergence of my vision and eyes; etc.

Vestibular: Standing on a pillow with my eyes closed for a certain amount of time, (started on just bare ground); Walking while turning my head side to side; Walking while nodding my head up and down; walking wall tossing a ball between my hands, etc.

This has really helped me move around a lot more without feeling like I'm going to be sick, lose my balance, etc. I really struggled and gave up grocery shopping when I first started. Now I am able to go with my boyfriend, but with accomodations. Shopping is a lot of sensory input that can quickly overload your brain. For me, I take a pair of ear plugs... the carts rolling around everywhere and people talking really get to me if I don't. And I generally wear my sunglasses, so that my visual system isn't overwhelmed. I may look like a freak, but I know when I go home, I won't be laid out for the rest of the day. If I do these things, I can go to the store, and go about the rest of my day with very little change in symptoms.

Check with a physical therapist to find where you can get vestibular therapy. It honestly has been a beacon of hope for me!
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote