Thread: Sciatica
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi ~ Sciatica USUALLY takes care of itself. That is, if it's simple sciatica! If the problem is piriformis syndrome, it might take longer -- or even surgery to correct.

Try icing the area for 20 minutes every 2 hours. That will decrease the swelling plus numb the pain. At first it hurts worse, but after a minute or two, it really feels good! Don't use heat -- heat draws blood to the heated area causing more swelling & inflammation & pain.

If this doesn't lessen in a reasonable length of time, you may need an MRI with and without contrast material to see what the problem is, i.e. disc pushing on nerve, etc.

I wish you the very best. I've had "sciatica" for over 25 years - so I know what you're going thru. The injections rarely work -- and they're only temporary anyway. Take care & God bless. Hugs, Lee
I can't imagine ever needing surgery on the piriformis-- it is deep, and therefore well protected. Since it doesn't act alone, even serious weight training is unlikely to cause it to grow enough to cause a compression problem. But, yeah, ain't no part of the body that isn't vulnerable to all kinds of things. However, surgery and/or drugs should be the last resort.

There's plenty of youtube and other video online that demonstrates piriformis trigger point release. That's fine: it isn't rocket science, it's just a few moments of ischemic pressure. But you shouldn't allow anyone to apply deep pressure directly to the center of the muscle, which might (rarely, but possibly) cause even more compression on the sciatic nerve that is either directly beneath the muscle or running thru the heart of the muscle. But the TrPs in the piriformis will usually be found very close to the sacrum and a few centimeters off its insertion on the greater trochanter of the femur--no danger of putting pressure on the nerve.

Five lateral rotators in the butt can be causing/contributing to the problem. In fact, the entire length of the nerve is vulnerable to impingement by covering muscle...in the buttocks, in the posterior thigh.
GaryA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote