View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
Not wanting to hijack a very good thread on another topic altogether, I just wanted to comment on Evonnes post where she mentions that her neuro has diagnosed her with 'Levodopa Responsive Parkinsonism'. I have noticed some other specific terminologies recently that people have been told is their diagnosis. Does this mean that there is some consensus emerging on sub-types, or is it something new emerging where neuro's are labelling parkinsonisms in a descriptive way, or are these old labels that somehow I have not noticed before? Do we get labelled with a parkinsonism rather than PD because we don't fit into the mould tightly enough..... It raises questions for me.....

Just interested to know.........

Lindy

PS Evonne, hope you don't mind me discussing this. I have a strange parkinsonism label that keeps changing too. And respond to L-dopa.....
Having been diagnosed 13 years ago with Parkinsonism and also being the leader of both an early onset and a "normal age" (55 and up) onset support group, I have asked this question to each of the group members. What were you initally diagnosed with? In the early onset group of 20 people, 100% reported being diagnosed with Parkinsonism and after a year or two seeing the same doctor it evolved into a Parkinson's diagnosis. In the older group of 35 people, they reported having been diagnosed with Parkinsons from the beginning. I think you may be hearing old labels that somehow you have not noticed before. It also seems that age of onset seem to play a part in the diagnosis given.
lindylanka (09-30-2011)