Thread: ocular MG
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ocular MG

My initial MG symptoms were more physical problems like trouble swallowing and numbness in my extrementies. The only visual problems I noticed was that my eye movement seemed to be slow. Later in the hospital after my thymectomy, I had sudden double vision and my eyes literally locked to where I could not move them left or right. My neurologist started me on prednisone and worked up to a high dosage and that corrected the problem. For various reason (which I won't go into here) I cannot take Mestinon.

However once my eyesight was corrected, he stopped the prednisone. Several months after I was released from the hospital, I once again had the double vision and my eyes locked - and this time I had the drooping eye on my left side. For some reason, he thought IVIG treatments would solve the problem and to this day I don''t know why. I had already had four IVIG treatments to try to solve the MG illness and none helped. So after the two treatments proved no improvement, I ended up in the emergency room because for two months I had not been able to eat because the double vision made me so sick at my stomach. Well then he tried the prednisone again and guess what, it corrected the problem. Now I'm on what you would call a maintenance dosage - 25mg one day and 5mg the next. No more problems with my vision. Now I have to face the side effects of prednisone.

There is no end to the problems we suffer. Some days I feel like a guinea pig for the medical community.

Good luck in finding what will solve your vision problem.

Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote