View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Hi, Lit Love:

I realize surgery is very risky for RSD patients. When my orthopedic surgeon told me I would need surgery on my left knee (the area where my RSD started; my RSD is now internal generalized), I did not know if I should accept or refuse this surgery, that is, if the benefits of this surgery outweighted its risks. I still do not know. My orthopedic surgeon told me it was my job to decide what to do. The problem is I do not know what to decide and do.

Quote: "I've needed elbow surgery for 8 or so years, and it just isn't worth the risk to me or my docs." So you and your surgeon decided not to have your elbow surgery done. Since you did not have your elbow surgery, you were safe with your RSD, but how is your elbow doing?

Quote: "Will this 8th surgery improve your function to a degree worthy of potentially exacerbating your RSD?" The problem I have, mainly with my ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament), which is stretched and non-functional, can sometimes cause knee giving-outs and falls when I walk. Can my orthopedic surgeon say "this eighth surgery (an ACL reconstruction) would improve my function to a degree worthy of potentially exacerbating my RSD?" He cannot guarantee such a result because my two previous ACL reconstructions have failed already, so it could happen again.

Quote: "I had a fourth wrist surgery, that was post RSD diagnosis, and a stellate ganglion block helped keep things from flaring and spreading for me." I had femoral nerve blocks after several of my previous seven surgeries. Even though some of these blocks helped somewhat with the post-operative pain, I do not think they did prevent my RSD from flaring up and spreading.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and information.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote