View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 03:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Growing Pains??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby View Post
Hey Vic,
Thanks for replying. I take a low dose as I said of Lyrica 3 X's a day but I take 900 mgs of Neurontin 4 X's a day. Before I ever got RSD I had Fibromyalgia & I took an over the counter type of GABA(pentin). I had nooooo idea that it worked on never pain. I was just told it might help the Fibro pain. And to be honest I do think it did. I can't for the life of me remember how much of it I took or from what company I got the GABA from. I ordered it over the phone at first, then from the computer. I will have to try to see if I can find that company. I have traded up in Windows computers since then tho & have no idea where the bookmark is at anymore.

Before Lyrica came to the public, I would take a very very low dose of Gabatril. Now talk about affecting my brain!?!? I would go almost comatose on it. Jack would ask me what was wrong & my answer would be, "I am fine & I love you." over & over he said I would say this to him, then lay down & go back to sleep. This would be on a low dose of Gabatril. That stuff was NASTY & I would only take it when the burning pain reached such high proportions that I would cry & contemplate suicide. I had to take less than what the doctor even prescribed for me to be able to function while taking it. I have never had any problems taking Neurontin at any dose, nor any problems this way taking Lyrica. I was on a higher dose of Lyrica, but I could not stay awake at all. Also the weight gain on it was AWFUL, up to 25lbs I gained & have only lost about 10 of it & that has taken me a year.

The doctor & I both tried to wean me off of Neurontin when I started taking Lyrica, but the burning pain came back like a screaming banshee. It is somewhat like you say, what works is what counts as far as being an adult goes huh? *L* I have fought pain of one kind or another my whole damn life. Starting with what the doctor called 'growing pains' in my legs as a child to RSD pain. Pain from mild to as severe/acute as it can get. So now that I am older & I have a great pain doctor I am NOT going to go around in horrible pain anymore if I can help it. Tolerable pain I will & do deal with, but not horrible. Not anymore.

I agree, what is prescribed for children & what is prescibed for adults should be done very carefully. And monitored very carefully. How it affects adults & children can be very very different. And I know children should not be allowed to suffer from pain either, but pain control for them has to be approached differently. I think that one program then have for children with RSD is great. It retrains their brain pathways & I think for them it would work way better than for an adult. But I do want to order the book, "The Brain That Changes Itself" & see if I can do this for myself. My PM Doc thinks that I would be a good candidate for trying this technique. Anyway getting off the subject.

Anyway, again, take care & I do agree with what you are saying here.

DebbyV
ps I hope I made some kind of sense...............
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
I was wondering about your "growing pains" you experienced as a child. How long did that go on? How bad was the pain? I ask because I also experienced "growing pains" in my legs that started from about the time I was 10 until I was 16 or so. I was relatively pain-free for about 8 years but have had undiagnosed "nerve" pain in my abdomen and back for the last several years. I hate to pry...but it would be interesting to know of your experience and if it is similar to my own.
btw, what does RSD stand for?

Thanks!
Niletak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote