Thread: Very Exciting
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 07:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In general, I am in favour of physical activity, for the reasons Mark mentions. Being able to walk outside daily seems to be helping with my recovery (although it took some time for me to get to this point; initially, rest seemed to be the most helpful treatment). My doctor's advice was to rest and gradually add light activity, so long as it doesn't trigger symptoms. This seems to be common sense advice.

However, I'm not sure that the UB program has been "proven" to alleviate symptoms. It does sound as though it has helped some people, but the published research is very limited (the UB paper is somewhat dated and involved 12 subjects only). Meanwhile, others have said that the UB approach did nothing for them. Headaches and depression are common and often debilitating concussion symptoms - where is the rigorous, peer-reviewed evidence indicating that exercise can significantly alleviate these symptoms? After all, there is a ton of recent research pointing to the benefits of exercise for non-concussed people.

I do think that exercise and physical therapy is likely to form a component of treating PCS in the future. However, we seem to be in very early days in terms of developing appropriate and customized approaches involving these elements.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote