Thread: Hi Guys
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Yourself!

I welcome you back also, Maryfances. I was delighted to see you posting again on the "Never-Ending Story" thread.

I'm halfway through my 11th year, post-Dx. Still able to get out of bed unaided in the morning, albeit with the shuffle-walk. Meds first thing, firing on all cylinders 40 minutes after 1 50/200 sinemet CR and 1 25/100 regular sinemet. Later in the AM I take a handfull of multi-vites, extra vitD3, along with 100mg amantadine. The 50/200 CR and 25/100 reg are repeated twice at 5-hr intervals. That allows me to function about as well as most 73 year olds until 9 or 10 PM. I still take dextromethorphan, about 4 mg in OTC pediatric cough syrup, at bedtime. I think it has slowed progression of symptoms significantly.

I have been retired for almost 5 years, but am allowed to maintain an office at my university where I attend noon journal clubs and weekly afternoon seminars. What is most enjoyable is the opportunity to stay in touch with and encourage younger researchers, especially some who are working on discovering causes of Parkinson's.

I feel very fortunate that I did not begin experiencing serious symptoms until later in my life. My progression, though slowed, is inexorable.

Younger people like yourself have a really difficult path to walk. You are the ones for whom real progress in defeating this disease needs to happen NOW!

Wishing you the best,
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bob Dawson (10-02-2011), imark3000 (10-03-2011)